CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 24, 2007



Last week I was over at a friends house having a cigar and a scotch (and no, I do not condone either) with he and his father. We had a great time just talking about God, life, love and we told a few funny stories. I was reminded again why people are the church. I wanted to stay out there all night, just chatting, encouraging, discussing and laughing. I think that church(community) can be like that. It can engage us in such a way that we want to spend all night enjoying the stories and experiences and thoughts of God and His Kids. We limit ourselves to such a vanilla interpretation of church that we miss out on all of the flavor and variety of what it means to engage a completely vast and limitless God. While most institutional church congregations may be dwindling in attendance or relevance, The Invisible Church is thriving in the coffeeshops, bars and backporches of people that desperately want to be more like Jesus. It is thriving where we connect with one another and engage each other's lives.

I have very few people that I engage with at a level of vulneralbility that allows for this communion. Those that I do entrust my heart to know my inner person and have chosen to accept that person with all that comes with him. What if the institutional church was like that? What if people could see a safe harbor in their time of dispair? What if we greeted the world with a towel and basin instead of a pointed finger and a Bible tract? What if people who followed Jesus cared more about the homeless, the widow, the outcast and the reject more than whether or not I had a cigar and a glass of scotch? What if the church is more about what happens out here than in there? What if...

- R

1 comments:

C said...

Amen, Amen, Amen.